The VHF/UHF DX Book
"I started this book because no existing amateur radio book seemed
to capture the reality of
VHF/UHF DX, with its unique blend of advanced
technology and personal skill..."
About 450 pages, including -
- Chasing the DX
- The Technical Challenges
- VHF/UHF PROPAGATION by Geoff Grayer, G3NAQ
- Properties of Radio Waves
- The Path from Transmitter to Receiver
- VHF and UHF Propagation Modes
- Auroral Scattering
- Sporadic-E and Auroral Es
- FAI, F2, Trans-equatorial and Ionoscatter
- Meteor Scatter
- Recognizing Propagation Modes
- OPERATING by David Butler, G4ASR
- General Techniques
- What is a Contact?
- Answering CQ Calls
- Calling CQ
- Getting It Right
- Playing The Game
- Special VHF/UHF DX Operating Techniques
- Meteor Scatter
- The DXer's Year Planner
- Background Knowledge, and Where to Get It
- ASSEMBLING YOUR STATION
- Receiver Sensitivity
- System Noise Temperature
- Usable Sensitivity
- Power Gains and Losses
- Station Improvements
- RECEIVERS AND LOCAL OSCILLATORS
- The Receiver's Front-End
- Noise/Gain Analysis
- Strong-Signal Performance
- Gain Compression
- Reciprocal Mixing
- Dynamic Ranges
- Intermodulation Analysis
- Practical Front-End Systems
- TRANSMITERS, POWER AMPLIFIERS AND EMC by John Nelson, GW4FRX
- Clean Signals
- How Much Power do DXers Really Need?
- What Kind of Power Amplifier?
- Going for The Limit
- Triodes and Tetrodes
- The 4CX Family
- Commissioning a New Power Amplifier
- Detailed Instructions - including "DON'T PANIC".
- Going on the Air
- Controlling the Drive Level
- Staying Legal
- Setting Up a Speech Processor
- RF Feedback
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
- BEAM ANTENNAS AND FEEDLINES by Günter Hoch, DL6WU
- Types of Directive Antennas
- Choice of Antennas for VHF/UHF DX
- DL6WU Yagi Designs
- Which Commercial Yagi?
- Feedlines, Transformers and Baluns
- 144MHz EQUIPMENT
- The 'Suffolk' 144MHz Transverter
by Sam Jewell, G4DDK
- The W1SL 144MHz Power Amplifier by John Nelson, GW4FRX
- Antennas for 144MHz DX
- 50MHz AND 70MHz EQUIPMENT
- A High-Performance 50MHz Transverter by Dave Powis, G4HUP
- The 'Cray' High-Performance 70MHz Transverter
by Dave Robinson, G4FRE/WG3I
- Solid-State Power Amplifiers
- Antennas for 50MHz and 70MHz DX
- 432MHz EQUIPMENT
- A DXer's Transverter for 432MHz by John Wilkinson, G4HGT
- A Low-Noise 432MHz GaAsFET Preamplifier
- The K2RIW 432MHz Power Amplifier by John Nelson, GW4FRX
- Antennas for 432MHz DX
- POWER SUPPLIES AND CONTROL UNITS by John Nelson, GW4FRX
- Anode (Plate) Supplies
- Screen-Grid Supplies
- Control-Grid Supplies
- Heater Supplies
- Alarms and Interlocks
- Transmit/Receive Control
- TEST EQUIPMENT AND STATION ACCESSORIES by Roger Blackwell, G4PMK
- RF Power and Voltage Measurement
- Frequency Counters
- Impedance and VSWR Measurement
- Receiver Measurements
- Transmitter Measurements
- Station Accessories
FAN MAIL FROM VHF/UHF DXERS
- If you don't already have this gem, you should run (not walk) to the post
office to order one. It is comprehensive, interesting, informative, and
- N6CL (in CQ):
- I highly recommend this book as an excellent reference guide for the
weak-signal VHF operator.
- Nice to see that there's a second printing of the book... my first edition
has become so dog-eared through heavy use!
- I have not seen any other book with so much valuable info for the VHF weak
- From PA0:
- You forgot to tell that the pieces on linears are especially a pleasure to
read, even to QRP fans. I enjoyed them very much!
- N0XX/7 (DX Engineering):
- The best technical [VHF/UHF] book I've seen is 'The VHF/UHF DX
great book, and the writing is the clearest and easiest to understand of any
book of its type I've ever read.
- It's one of the best collections of practical VHF/UHF data I've seen. Much
more informative than other texts out there.
- W5NY (Stridsberg Engineering):
- We really enjoy your book. We have two copies in our engineering library
and I can tell you they are well used as a reference, and just reading it for
pleasure. GREAT BOOK!!!
- G8ROU (in 'The VHF/UHF DXer'):
- If you only ever buy one VHF book, this should be the one.
Ordering from RSGB
Ordering from ARRL
Ian White, GM3SEK: Editor of The VHF/UHF DX Book and 'In Practice'
columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
Clear English for high-technology companies - world-wide.
GM3SEK's Amateur Radio Technical Notebook